Benefits of Jumping Rope
The results are amazing!
by J. Scott Canipe
There are tremendous health benefits of
jumping rope to improve physical fitness. It is an often ignored exercise, especially by men, because many feel that it is too feminine or childish to do. However,
nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, it takes a high
level of skill to jump rope the correct way. Many people that engage in jumping rope to lose weight and improve their fitness
levels have experienced dramatic results.
Furthermore, jumping rope is an inexpensive exercise that can be performed in many different places. You can do it at the gym, a park or in the comfort of your home. All you need is a good jump rope, a pair of cushioned athletic shoes and a safe surface to skip on. It is also a time effective exercise, meaning, you can easily fit it in your hectic schedule.
What exactly are the benefits of jumping rope? Quite frankly, there are numerous jump rope benefits that one can experience as his or her fitness level grows by conducting this exercise. The following is a list of some of the benefits of jumping rope:
- Cardiovascular Conditioning - To have a strong cardiovascular system is one of the most important aspects of being physically fit. It, in essence, states how strong and vibrant your heart is. As most of us know, the heart is the most important muscle in the human body and it must be healthy to pump blood throughout our circulatory system.
With the jump rope, you can increase your tempo for short bursts of speed to get the heart rate up and then slow it down. Repeating this process as a routine will greatly condition the heart. You can also jump at a slower tempo over a longer period of time which is another way to improve your cardiovascular performance. This is the most important of the benefits of jumping rope because the heart is the most significant muscle in the body. A weak or inefficient heart can lead to disease and ultimately premature death.
To improve your cardiovascular endurance, you can jump as little as 15 minutes three times a week for a beginner. For those with intermediate or advanced physical fitness levels, they would need to jump longer and with greater intensity for challenging purposes.
- Enhanced Coordination - Athletes from many sports have experienced much success from the benefits of jumping rope and coordination is one of them. However, good coordination is a must, not only for athletics, but in everyday life. This could range from walking across a busy street dodging oncoming traffic to simply standing with good equilibrium. Balance, spatial orientation, rhythm and the ability to react to different environmental stimuli in an efficient manner are the basics of coordination.
With hundreds of diverse movements and tricks to learn with the jump rope, you can dramatically increase your coordination. Some of them are very easy to learn, while others could take several weeks and even months to master.
- Weight Loss - Weight loss is one of the most highly coveted results from any exercise program. The term "weight loss" is sometimes too generalized. We all should have a healthy muscle and fat ratio. Many people have unwanted pounds and sometimes it is difficult to get rid of. Jumping rope to lose weight the correct way is an excellent way to shed unhealthy body fat.
Rope skipping actually strengthens the muscles, ligaments and bones while simultaneously elevating the heart rate and metabolism to burn calories, therefore, ridding the body of unwanted pounds.
You can maximize your work efforts to build the three energy systems which it's very important for healthy muscle to fat ratios. The three energy systems are used to contract all muscles of the body and should be exercised frequently.
Many people that are jumping rope to lose weight are experiencing excellent results. This is one of the many benefits of rope jumping.
- Improved Posture - Have you ever heard of the term "slouch?" That happens when you don't have good posture. It is associated with lack of self-confidence, laziness and no direction of purpose. Another negative aspect to having poor posture is chronic joint pain at specific areas of the spinal column which can lead to many muscular imbalances and joint degeneration. However, with a healthy upright posture that facilitates proper curvature at your cervical, thoracic and lumbar areas projects a confident person with drive.
Proper posture also enables you to have a high level of fitness, because you have a strong foundation to carry out many physical activities. Conducting your-self with a healthy posture is one the several benefits of jumping rope.
If you are a beginner, the exercise may seem awkward at first, but as you get better and your timing increases there is a natural progression toward keeping your body up right which promotes good posture.
- Enjoyable and Interesting - Too many times working out can be monotonous for those trying to get fit. They lose interest quickly and cannot stay with a program. The opposite is true with a jump rope. You can introduce a myriad of tricks and moves, then combine them together to create your own workout routines. There is an endless number of possibilities with the jump rope.
Personally, I have incorporated it in my own fitness program and have learned scores of tricks. Above is a posted a video of myself that illustrates some of the different moves that you can execute. You can listen to your own music and jump at your own pace. It is very entertaining, exhilarating and oh, what a WORKOUT!
Grab a Rope and Go
Start enjoying the benefits of jumping rope!
good jump rope costs anywhere between $15-$45. Skipping rope can be
performed virtually anywhere provided you have a good pair of
cushioned athletic shoes and a safe surface.
benefits of jumping rope are endless to tap into. It strengthens your
heart, increases coordination, improves posture, encourages weight
loss, and is very entertaining to practice.
Because of the numerous moves that can be learned, jumping rope constantly keeps you from plateauing and stimulates
your brain activity. As your heart rate increases by jumping rope, specific hormones in the brain are released giving you a euphoric
feeling. In other words, you can experience the proverbial “runner's
high” without actually running, which is safer for your ankle, knee and hip joints.
are you waiting for? Purchase one today and start enjoying the
benefits of jumping rope.
What are your thoughts on jumping rope?
Your ideas, expertise and input are very important!
Do you have a great story or any thoughts about how jumping rope has helped you in your fitness approach? Share it here!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
What are your thoughts on this subject?
Your ideas, expertise and input are very important!
Do you have a great story or any thoughts about this subject? Share it here!